7 Easy Ways to Prevent Electrical Hazards
By Mechelle Gonzales
Today’s modern living has given rise to the use of more appliances, which also increases the risk of electrical accidents at home or the office.
And since it’s the fire prevention month, it won’t hurt to be reminded of ways to avoid electrical hazards.
Check out our tips below:
Turn Off the Power
Before working on anything electrical such as replacing a light bulb or fixing a plug, you should turn off the circuit breaker. This is the only way to ensure that there’s no power going through on whatever you’re working on.
Avoid Octopus Connection
An octopus electrical connection is like extension cords plugged into a single power outlet, which can increase the risks of fire and other electrical-related accidents. Instead of connecting them all together into a single wall outlet, connect some to different outlets to distribute the load of electricity.
Unplug Appliance When Not in Use
Plugged-in appliance may create an unnecessary fire risk. To avoid this, it’s recommended to unplug all your appliances when not in use. It can also help you lower your electric bill.
Replace Broken Cords Immediately
Broken cords can cause electric shock. To avoid this, replace frayed electrical cords immediately. It’s better to purchase a replacement cord instead of using an electrical tape to cover the cracks or tears; the tape will surely melt and burn because electricity runs through the wires.
Keep Appliance Away from Water Sources
Water and electricity are a lethal combination. It’s recommended to stay away from water when using electrical appliances such as hair dryers, electric power tools, TV sets, radios, and small kitchen appliances.
Avoid Forcing a Plug Into an Outlet
Make sure all electric plugs fit securely into the outlet because a loose-fitting plug may overheat or lead to a fire. Don’t force a plug into the outlet if it doesn’t fit or use an adapter plug.
Childproof Your Outlets
Small children love to play and are insanely curious about everything; their small fingers can shove things into an outlet and they can get grounded. To avoid this, install outlet covers.